basic features of windows xp
Compressed Files and Folders :
Compressing a file or a folder decreases its size so that it takes up let space on a drive or transfers quicker. A number of compression programs are amiable through third-party vendor as shareware or commercial products. Included with Windows XP professional however, is winzip7, a popular compression utility that has been widely distributed in previous versions.
Zipping and unzipping a File :
In Windows XP Professional, you click the Compressed Folder item on the sent to menu to zip a file or a folder with no intervention from you. To Zip a file, right-click it, click send To, and the click Compressed Folder. A compressed copy is placed in the folder that contains the original file. You can easily identify it because its file folder icon display a closed zipper. Once you create a zipped older you can place other files in it by simply dragging them to the older.To unzip the file, double-click it.
Zipping and unzipping a Folder :
When you zip a folder that is in a subfoldr, a sipped folder is placed in the parent folder. To uncompress a zipped folder, simply double click it If you want a compressed folder in a location other than where the program places it simply drag it there or use the Cut and Paste commands.
Clear type :
Clear Type is a Windows feature that ripples the horizontal resolution of text on a Liquid crystal Displays (LCD) screen, the screen that’s found on portable computers. In short you screen display will be much clearer if you use Clear Type. Clear Type is not enabled by default. To turn on Clear Type, follow these steps
- Right-click the desktop, and choose properties form the shortcut menu to pen the Displays Properties dialog box.
- Click the Appearance tab, click the effects button to open the dialog box as shown
- Click the use the following method to smooth Edges offices fonts’ drop-down list, select clear type and the click ok. Ok again in the Display Properties dialog box
- Click lock see Mouse
Clip board :
In windows xp clipboard is temporary storage area filled with items you7 cut and copy. The clip board can store only one item at a time, so when you do copy or cut, the newly copied or cut item replaces the previously copied or cut item. You actually copy the contents of the clipboard to the active window or active workbook when tents of the clip board to the active window or active workbook when you past some item. The clipboard gets erased in two wages when you turn off your computer and when you specifically clear the clip board.
Closing Documents :
To close a document, click the File menu and then click close. Alternatively, click the document window’s close button
Note;- the document window’s close button is in the upper right corner of the program just beneath the program window’s close button. The program window’s close button s the corner program window. Close buttons are marked with an”X”
To close all open documents, hold down the shift key click the file and the click Close All.
Closing Programs :
To close or exit a program like Word or Excel, click the file menu and the click Exit. Alternatively, click the program window’s Close button.
Note The program window’s close button is in upper right corner of the program window and it marked with an “X”
Compatibility Mode :
Compatibility Mode in Windows XP Professional is a feature that lets on run programs created for previous versions of Windows. For example if you have a program that was developed for Windows 95 but it does not work properly when you try to run it in Windows XP, on run it is compatibility Mode. Follow these steps.
- Click Start, click All programs, click Accessories and the click program compatibility Wizard. At the opening screen click Next.
- In the next screen, tell the wizard how you want to locate the program and then click next.
- In the next screen, select the program you want to run in comparability mode, and the click Next.
- Now choose the operating system under which your application ran as expected and then click Next.
- If the program you want to run is a game or an educational program, you can select the display settings in the next screen. Otherwise, just click next.
- In the next screen, you will see the complete path to your application and the name of the windows operating system you will be using for the compatibility test. Click next to start your program running in this mode. Once you have determined that the application works as expected in this mode, close your application and click next
- If your application worked as expected, you can make Window start the application in Compatibility Mode automatically every time you start the program. Click Yes to update the shortcut so that compatibility mode is used automatically, or click No so the Compatibility mode is not used. Click Finish and your are done.
Computer Management :
The computer Management window displays detailed information including potentially valuable status information about your computer system. To pen Computer Management, click, Start, Click Control Panel, click Performance and Maintenance, click Administrative Tools and the click Computer management.
Several options are listed in the computer Management window click the plus sign associated with it4ms in the left pane to expand the list. Initially there are there items
System tools contain selections you can use to look at and trouble. Shoot the hardware on your system
Storage lets you look at or change hard-disk configuration and run the Disk Defragmenter
Services And applications allows you to look at the services running on your system.
Control Menu :
In the upper left corner of program windows is on icon you can click to display the Control menu. The control menu a relic of the version of Windows that Microsoft released a decade ago, supplies commands for moving, sizing and closing the program window.
Control panel :
To open control panel, you click the start button and the click control panel. In windows XP Professional, control panel is available in two views category View, the default yew
If you’ve used previous versions of windows you may find this view of control panel puzzling it’s not immediately obvious which applets are in which category and to open an applet
|Appearance and Themes||Taskbar and Start Menu Folder Options Displays|
|Network and internet connections||Network connections Internet options|
|Add or Remote programs||Opens the Add or Remove programs dialog box|
|Sounds, speech and Audio devices||Sounds and Audio Devices speech|
|Performance and Maintenance||Administrative tools scheduled tasks system power options|
|Printers and other Hardware||Printers and Faxes scanners and cameras Game controllers Mouse Keyboard phone and Modem options|
|User accounts||Opens the user Accounts folder|
|Date, time, Language and Regional Options||Regional and Language options date and Time|
|Accessibility Options||Accessibility options|
The category folder in many cases also contains a list of taskbar they are related to the applets in that category.
Notice that on the left or control panel in category view is also bar that contains links to windows update and help and support. If you are connected to the Internet, clicking Windows update taken to the Microsoft windows update site at http:/windowssudate.microsoft.com/ clicking Help and support opens help and support center
If you don’t find category view to your liking you can which classic View of control panel which is shown click the which to classic view link in the control panel and in Icons view you can also display the Classic view in Thumbnails, tiles list, details view click the view menu and then choose a view. Not that in classic view you also have the see also bar that contains windows update and help and support links.
If You Want To Respond,Please Send Me An Mail
My Email ID : firstname.lastname@example.org